Dr Helen Mayo
Dr Helen Mayo was the Adelaide University's second female graduate in medicine, graduating in 1902. On her return from overseas in 1906 she went into private practice and was an honorary anaesthetist at the Adelaide Children's Hospital. She continued in varying roles at the Adelaide Children's Hospital and also worked at the Adelaide Hospital.
In 1909 she and Harriet Stirling set up a small clinic in the Franklin Street kindergarten to attend and advise mothers in and near the city. This lead to the establishment of what was known as the Child Youth Health Service until it's amalgamation with the Women's and Children's Hospital. Mayo was honorary Chief Medical Officer for the organisation until 1967.
last modified: 23 Aug 2018