Women's and Children's Hospital, Adelaide
WCH Heritage and History Collection

About the Women's and Children's Hospital

WCH Heritage and History Collection

Originally formed as the ICONS Group in 1995 by retired ACH Staff, it is now known as WCH Heritage and History Committee.

The aim of the collection is to collect, catalogue, store and display items of historical significance to the Women's and Children's Hospital, and its predecessors, the Adelaide Children’s Hospital and the Queen Victoria Hospital, their associated institutions, for example Estcourt House and the former Child and Youth Health Services.

The collection mainly comprises of photographs of buildings, benefactors and staff, newsletters, nursing memorabilia, medical and surgical instruments (including an extensive range of obstetrical and gynaecological), infant feeders, laboratory and X-ray equipment, toys and fundraising memorabilia.

Members of the Heritage and History Committee consist of current and retired hospital staff members. The group maintains changing exhibits in various areas within the hospital, and acts as a resource reference to interested personnel.

Paper Mache training model Circa 1900. Kate Hill in her “sitting room” Basement Samuel Way Building Superintendent of Nurses 1891 - 1902

Paper Mache training model Circa 1900

Kate Hill in her "sitting room" Basement Samuel Way Building Superintendent of Nurses 1891 - 1902

For further information or to donate items to the collection, please contact WCH Heritage and History Collection members at:

ingrid.offler@sa.gov.au or on (08) 8161 8323.

last modified: 05 Jul 2016