Information about donating items to the WCH
Gifts and Donations
Information about donating items to the Women's and Children's Hospital
The Women's and Children's Hospital is extremely grateful to receive donations of items from the public. As a health service, we are guided by strict infection control policies and safety considerations which may prevent us from distributing certain types of gifts.
The following information has been developed to help donors get the best results for our young patients out of their generous donations.
Special thought needs to be given to the types of toys donated to make sure that they are suitable for the young babies, sick children or adolescents.
- Please keep in mind that most of our patients are confined to a hospital bed. If possible, try to give gifts that children can do something with, and that are stimulating and engaging for them. Please avoid toys with small parts that can be a potential choking hazard.
- Please ensure that toys and gifts are not gift wrapped, to allow for individual safety assessment and age grouping by hospital staff.
Donations and Gifts
The following items are always popular:
- Art and craft supplies
- New soft toys
- Baby toys
- Board games
- 3D puzzles
- Jewellery, fragrances, or other gift items for young teenagers
- Gift vouchers
- Birthday or celebratory decorations
- Sensory toys
- New handmade quilts and pillow cases
Approximate quilt sizes required:
- Pram size – 64cm x 75cm or 25in x 30in
- Cot/Crib size – 102cm x 127cm or 40in x 50in
- Single bed size – 132cm x 153cm or 52in x 60in
- Knitted teddies, caterpillars, dolls and animals are a great toy and are used for trauma and reward gifts. We have a collection of free knitting patterns for these items that have been tested in our wards and clinics, if you would like a copy of these patterns please contact Donations office on 8161 8348.
- Knitted blankets - unfortunately, we no longer accept knitted blankets as we have a large stock of these items.
- Knitted baby clothes – unfortunately, we no longer accept knitted baby clothes as we have a large stock of these items, including beanies and clothes for premature babies.
Excess knitted items will be offered to the Friends of WCH Inc. for sale in their shops (Rainbows or Vics) – both are based at the Women’s and Children’s Hospital and ALL profits from the sales go towards vital medical equipment for the hospital.
DVDs and Interactive Computer and Console games
- DVDs and Interactive computer and console games suitable for children or adolescents with rating classifications G, PG, M and MA are accepted.
- We also accept donations of portable DVD players for the wards to share amongst their patients.
Accepted as New Items Only
- All soft or fluffy toys, wooden items and games donated to the Hospital must be new, never used items.
Some Second-hand Items Can be Accepted
- Some large second-hand plastic items may be accepted if they are in excellent condition and can be easily cleaned and disinfected. Please ring the Donations office on (08) 8161 8348 first to check if the hospital can use your donation.
- Second-hand books, magazines, comics (in excellent condition) can be used in waiting rooms.
- Second-hand clothing (in excellent condition) for babies and children can be used by several departments.
Items Not Accepted
Unfortunately, the following items cannot be accepted:
- Donations of food or sweets of any kind (this includes baby formula)
- Dirty or damaged items of any kind
- Knitted baby/premature baby clothes
- Second-hand soft toys
- Second-hand dolls of any kind
- Furniture or second-hand bedding
- Second-hand wooden toys
- Second-hand board games
- Unfortunately second-hand computers or analogue televisions are not compatible with technical systems at the hospital. However, second-hand computers may be useful for the Department of Premier and Cabinet's Smart State PC Donation Program.
For special donations or if you have any queries, please telephone the Donations office on (08) 8161 8348.
Delivery of Goods
To ensure your delivery reaches us, please label your donation clearly to:
Samuel Way Building, Mezzanine Level
Women's and Children's Hospital
72 King William Road
North Adelaide SA 5006
Donations may also be left during business hours at the hospital Information Desk, in either of the main entrance foyers located at Kermode Street entrance (Zone A) or the Queen Victoria entrance (Zone F) –please refer to the hospital map.
Back to Gifts and Donations Gratefully Received