Information about donating items to the WCH
Gifts and Donations
Information about donating items to the Women's and Children's Hospital
The Women's and Children's Hospital is extremely grateful to receive donations of items from the public. As a health service, we are guided by strict infection control policies and safety considerations which may prevent us from distributing certain types of gifts.
The following information has been developed to help donors get the best results for our young patients out of their generous donations.
Special thought needs to be given to the types of toys donated to make sure that they are suitable for the young babies, sick children or adolescents.
- Please keep in mind that most of our patients are confined to a hospital bed. If possible, try to give gifts that children can do something with, and that are stimulating and engaging for them. Please avoid toys with small parts that can be a potential choking hazard.
- Please ensure that toys and gifts are not gift wrapped, to allow for individual safety assessment and age grouping by hospital staff.
Donations and Gifts
We accept a wide range of gifts for Christmas and patient birthdays throughout the year.
Shortage in Adolescent gifts
Community generosity helps make our patients' hospital stay more comfortable, however we are currently experiencing a shortage in gifts for our older patients. The following items are always popular and, due to infection control policies, must be new:
- Plain, comfortable clothing in teen sizing
- Boys underwear in teen sizing
- Fun/colourful socks
- Bluetooth speakers and earphones/headphones
- RC helicopters and cars
- Mobile phone accessories
- Game console vouchers
- Mini DVD players
- LED strip lights
- Footy-themed gifts – e.g. Port and Crows
- Soccer balls, footballs, sporting equipment
- Beach towels
- Cologne, perfume, deodorant packs
- Nail polish, nail care kits
- Toiletry packs – lip balms, body lotions, hand creams etc.
- Good quality make up, body washes, pamper packs
- Face masks
- Affordable hair straighteners or styling tools
- Scrunchies and hair accessories
- Cinema tickets
- Gift vouchers for teen and department stores
- Stationery packs, sketch books, pencils, and journal/writing
- Diamond Art kits
- Watercolour paints
- Paint by Numbers kits
- Advanced/intricate craft packs
GAMES, TOYS AND BOOKS
- Board games
- 3D puzzles
- Puzzles, card games (UNO etc.)
- Fidget toys
- Sensory toys for special needs teens
- Building and STEM/Science activities
- Teenage books and magazines
- Harry Potter (books or merchandise)
- Age-appropriate LEGO kits
Knitted items – accepted
- Knitted teddies, caterpillars, dolls and animals are a great toy and are used for trauma and reward gifts. We have a collection of free knitting patterns for these items that have been tested in our wards and clinics. If you would like a copy of these patterns please contact our Donations Office on 8161 8348 or email Health.WCHNEvents@sa.gov.au.
- Knitted cardigans/baby outfits. Matching sets are especially welcome.
Knitted items – not accepted
- Knitted blankets – unfortunately, we no longer accept knitted blankets as we have a large stock of these items.
- Knitted beanies – unfortunately, we no longer accept knitted beanies as we have a large stock of these items. For information on accepted knitted items, please call 8161 8348.
Excess items will be offered to the Friends of WCH Inc. for sale in their shops (Rainbows or Vics) – both are based at the Women's and Children's Hospital and ALL profits from the sales go towards vital medical equipment for the hospital.
New underwear and other clothing for all ages (particularly teenage) are especially useful for patients who find themselves in hospital unexpectedly.
- DVDs suitable for children or adolescents with rating classifications G, PG, M and MA are accepted.
- We also accept donations of portable DVD players for the wards to share amongst their patients.
Items Not Accepted
Unfortunately, the following items cannot be accepted:
- Donations of food or sweets of any kind (this includes baby formula)
- Dirty or damaged items of any kind
- Knitted baby/premature baby clothes
- Second-hand soft toys
- Second-hand dolls of any kind
- Furniture or second-hand bedding
- Second-hand wooden toys
- Second-hand board games
- Unfortunately second-hand computers or televisions are not compatible with technical systems at the hospital.
Due to being overstocked and limited storage space, we are no longer accepting any second-hand items including toys and clothing.
For special donations or if you have any queries, please telephone the Donations office on (08) 8161 8348.
Delivery of Goods
To ensure your delivery reaches us, please label your donation clearly to:
Media and Communications
Samuel Way Building, Mezzanine Level
Women's and Children's Hospital
72 King William Road
North Adelaide SA 5006
Donations can no longer be dropped off at our main entrances. To arrange a time to deliver items, please contact Media and Communications on 8161 8348 or via Health.WCHNEvents@sa.gov.au – a drop-off location will be advised.
Back to Gifts and Donations Gratefully Received